New Jersey News
New Jersey deli owner foils robber by throwing hot oil at him
LINDEN, N.J. (WABC) -- A New Jersey deli owner foiled an attempted robbery by throwing hot oil at the suspect.
It happened at about 2 p.m. Monday at Cos's Corner Deli on East Elizabeth Avenue in Linden.
The owner, 46-year old Harry Bains, told police that a dark-skinned male in his 20's entered the store, displayed a handgun and had a windbreaker-type jacket pulled up around his face.
When the suspect went to try and open the cash register, Bains said he took a small pot of scorching hot oil and threw it at the suspect, striking him.
As soon as the oil hit, the would-be robber then fled the store on foot without taking anything, with Bains giving chase.
A search of the area for the suspect failed to locate anyone.
Detectives will be reviewing footage from a surveillance camera in the store.
Local hospitals were notified in the event the suspect seeks medical treatment for possible burns.
Bains was not injured.
After wiping up most of the splattered oil and calling police, this brave father of three was behind the counter, once again.
new jersey, linden, robbery, new jersey news, lucy yang
- Snow alert issued for New York City 20 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 11 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Obamas to attend Tuesday service for Nelson Mandela
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire 30 min ago
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute
- Police hunt driver in deadly Queens hit and run 41 min ago
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Eric Gelinas' OT goal helps Devils beat Rangers
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
11 min ago
- Police hunt driver in deadly Queens hit and...
41 min ago