New Jersey News
New Jersey couple pleads guilty in Sammy the dog animal cruelty case
BRICK (WABC) -- An abused dog in New Jersey will finally be able to find a forever home after his former owners reached a plea agreement.
Keith Morgan and Shauna Ewing Morgan were accused of abusing their dog, a 15-year-old Cocker Spaniel named Sammy.
The couple pleaded guilty Monday to some of the charges against them, including animal cruelty and filing a false report with police.
The Morgans initially claimed they found the dog in a trash bag before bringing it to the shelter in March. The pooch was covered in urine, and his fur was so matted together that he couldn't stand.
The chief of the Monmouth County SPCA says the outcome is a win because it will allow them to place Sammy in a permanent home.
Keith Morgan, 56, and Ewing Morgan, 43, face up to six months in jail.
About 70 people showed up in court in support of Sammy, wearing T-shirts with his picture on the front.
new jersey, animal abuse, dogs, dog, new jersey news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall