New Jersey News
New Jersey couple pleads guilty in Sammy the dog animal cruelty case
BRICK (WABC) -- An abused dog in New Jersey will finally be able to find a forever home after his former owners reached a plea agreement.
Keith Morgan and Shauna Ewing Morgan were accused of abusing their dog, a 15-year-old Cocker Spaniel named Sammy.
The couple pleaded guilty Monday to some of the charges against them, including animal cruelty and filing a false report with police.
The Morgans initially claimed they found the dog in a trash bag before bringing it to the shelter in March. The pooch was covered in urine, and his fur was so matted together that he couldn't stand.
The chief of the Monmouth County SPCA says the outcome is a win because it will allow them to place Sammy in a permanent home.
Keith Morgan, 56, and Ewing Morgan, 43, face up to six months in jail.
About 70 people showed up in court in support of Sammy, wearing T-shirts with his picture on the front.
new jersey, animal abuse, dogs, dog, new jersey news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 27 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 20 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run 8 min ago
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
27 min ago