New Jersey News
New Jersey couple pleads guilty in Sammy the dog animal cruelty case
BRICK (WABC) -- An abused dog in New Jersey will finally be able to find a forever home after his former owners reached a plea agreement.
Keith Morgan and Shauna Ewing Morgan were accused of abusing their dog, a 15-year-old Cocker Spaniel named Sammy.
The couple pleaded guilty Monday to some of the charges against them, including animal cruelty and filing a false report with police.
The Morgans initially claimed they found the dog in a trash bag before bringing it to the shelter in March. The pooch was covered in urine, and his fur was so matted together that he couldn't stand.
The chief of the Monmouth County SPCA says the outcome is a win because it will allow them to place Sammy in a permanent home.
Keith Morgan, 56, and Ewing Morgan, 43, face up to six months in jail.
About 70 people showed up in court in support of Sammy, wearing T-shirts with his picture on the front.
new jersey, animal abuse, dogs, dog, new jersey news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon 24 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 24 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 15 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 58 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 15 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together 47 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
8 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building...
24 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos