New Jersey News
Reward offered in cold case murder in New Jersey
NORTH BRUNSWICK, N.J. (WABC) -- A $10,000 reward is being offered by the high school classmates of a New Jersey woman stabbed to death 13 years ago.
59-year old Gail Hariton's body was found in her apartment on Pardun Road in North Brunswick in 2000.
The retired French teacher's murder is still unsolved.
So New Brunswick High School graduates from 1958 raised money for a reward at their reunion in May for information leading to an arrest in the case.
"She was a very private person. She was always smiling. She was modest, bright," said classmate Bert Busch.
The victim was divorced, she lived alone and had no children. So that's why her former classmates felt they had to step in.
"We're hoping the reward will get someone to remember something or someone to step forward and say I know something," said Busch.
Investigators haven't released a motive, and say they continue to search for a suspect.
Anyone with information is urged to call Crime Stoppers of Middlesex County at 1-800-939-9600. The case has been profiled on the Crimes Stoppers of Middlesex County website under the "Unsolved Homicide" tab.
Callers also may reach the Crime Stoppers website at http://www.middlesextips.com. In addition, text messages may be sent to 274637 (CRIMES) with the keyword ''midtip'' followed by a message.
The investigation began on May 8, 2000, when an employee of the Pardun Apartments discovered the victim at 10:46 a.m. and called police, who responded to Apartment 43-A.
An autopsy by the Middlesex County Medical Examiner's Office determined Ms. Hariton had been fatally stabbed in the chest.
new jersey, north brunswick, murder, stabbing, new jersey news, carolina leid
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD commisioner 47 min ago
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- Metro-North derailment victim Jim Lovell to be laid to rest
- Freeze takes an icy grip on much of the nation 17 min ago
- Springsteen 'Born to Run' draft sells for $197K 37 min ago
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Bill Bratton tapped to return as NYPD...
47 min ago