New Jersey News
Suspect at large after stealing police car in Fort Lee
HARLEM (WABC) -- A manhunt continues for the suspect who stole an unmarked police car in New Jersey and drove across the George Washington Bridge.
Police in New York are assisting Fort Lee police in the searc, after the man allegedly stole the undercover vehicle and ditched it on 125th Street.
Police say the suspect entered the vehicle Friday morning, struck an officer and attempted to run over another before driving off.
The suspect has been identified as 33-year-old Juan Mendez, a/k/a Juan Manuel Mendez, a/k/a Juan Mendez Lazaro, also a/k/a Eddie or Eduardo.
He is described as Hispanic with brown or black hair, standing between 5-foot-10 and 6-foot tall, and weighing between 200 and 230 pounds.
Shots were fired at the suspect but it is not known at this time if he was injured.
Authorities followed the car over the George Washington Bridge, before he was able to get away after leaving the car on 125th Street and Riverside Drive.
The officer's duty bag and ammunition were stolen from the vehicle.
The suspect should be considered armed and dangerous. </p
"He was up against the wall, so I don't know how that happened. I saw them patting him down, there was like time and he had his hands behind his back, like he had handcuffs on," said one witness. </p
And highly unlikely because police say the suspect broke away from his frisk and questioning this morning outside the Skyview Motel, jumped into an officer's undercover Audi and took off. </p
Investigators are still gathering evidence from the motel, while three officers are being treated at Holy Name Hospital for injuries and stress related to this. The mayor is keeping close contact. </p
"We never expect something like this to happen in this community. They keep us safe. This kind of event is so shocking for us, we're proud of them," adds Mayor Mark Sokolich.
Anyone with information, please contact the Fort Lee Police Department at 201-592-3510 or the Bergen County Prosecutors Office Major Crimes Unit at 201-226-5651.
new jersey, harlem, new york city, fort lee, new jersey news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half 2 min ago
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 8 min ago
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
8 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos