New Jersey News
Searchers find missing swimmer's body at Palisades Park
PALISADES PARK, N.J. -- Authorities have found the body of a man who went missing while swimming at a northern New Jersey park.
But his identity hasn't been released.
Bergen County Police say the body was found around 1 p.m. Sunday, not long after the search had resumed.
The Record reports the man and two friends were in a wooded area of Overpeck County Park in Palisades Park when the man decided to take a swim around 5 p.m. Saturday.
He swam about halfway into Overpeck Creek, a tributary of the Hackensack River, then became distressed and went under. Swimming is prohibited in the creek, which in that stretch is about 100 yards wide.
The police department's water-search-and-recovery team was deployed, assisted by a state police helicopter and officers from five nearby departments.
new jersey, palisades park, missing person, new jersey news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos