New Jersey News
Searchers find missing swimmer's body at Palisades Park
PALISADES PARK, N.J. -- Authorities have found the body of a man who went missing while swimming at a northern New Jersey park.
But his identity hasn't been released.
Bergen County Police say the body was found around 1 p.m. Sunday, not long after the search had resumed.
The Record reports the man and two friends were in a wooded area of Overpeck County Park in Palisades Park when the man decided to take a swim around 5 p.m. Saturday.
He swam about halfway into Overpeck Creek, a tributary of the Hackensack River, then became distressed and went under. Swimming is prohibited in the creek, which in that stretch is about 100 yards wide.
The police department's water-search-and-recovery team was deployed, assisted by a state police helicopter and officers from five nearby departments.
new jersey, palisades park, missing person, new jersey news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall