New Jersey News
Fire burns through row of homes in Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- Firefighters battled a three-alarm fire Monday in a row of homes in Newark, New Jersey.
Newscopter 7 was over a fire that investigators say began in the basement of 215 and a half where no one lived, to three houses that were home to many families.
"Someone called and said our house was on fire," said Prisicla Maloon, a Newark resident.
"I have lots of memories here. I just feel bad for my family, I don't know where they will go," said Kenia Geromo, a Newark resident.
"(Were you able to get anything out?) Just my phone," said Ashanti Byrd, a Newark resident.
Louisa Aponte lives a block away, and says she smelled the smoke.
"I came outside, saw it at the first house, then go to all of them," Aponte said.
More than 100 firefighters battled the blaze that was already on three homes before the full force arrived.
"The battalion chief was here quick and immediately called for more alarms. You always get reports of low water at first because you're coming up on a massive fire," Newark Fire Chief John Centanni said.
The city was out to speak to all the displaced families, arranging temporary living quarters for most that lost all they had.
"We just thank God everyone is okay," a resident said.
new jersey, newark, fire, new jersey news, toni yates
- Cuomo to announce deal between MTA and Union 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions 1 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 21 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms 37 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
37 min ago