New Jersey News
Driver accused of fatal SUV DWI in court
MORRISTOWN, N.J. (WABC) -- The man accused of killing three people, including a woman who was five months pregnant appeared in court in New Jersey Tuesday.
Police say Luis Torres was drunk behind the wheel when he crashed his SUV after leaving a family reunion.
37-year-old Luis Torres appeared via video camera for his emergency bail hearing.
Many, many times, he wiped tears away from his eyes as the prosecutor recounted the horrific accident over the weekend that killed three of his family members and injured five more.
Some of his family in court was overcome with grief when they saw Torres.
The prosecutor argued to keep his bail at $750,000 and his attorney argued to have it reduced.
Both explained why the judge should decide with them.
A total of 10 people were packed inside Torres' Ford SUV Sunday night after an afternoon on Lake Tomahawk. He was trying to pass a slower car on Route 15, when he sped up, lost control, causing his SUV to go sailing over an embankment, crashing onto the steps of a home.
62-year-old Lucila Colon, 11-year-old Tevia Booth, and 36-year-old Julissa Colon who was five months pregnant, were killed.
Torres faces charges of vehicular homicide, aggravated manslaughter, assault by auto, and his next court date is September 18th.
new jersey, dwi, accident, new jersey news, toni yates
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen