New Jersey News
New Jersey woman gets probation in trash-chute dog case
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- A New Jersey woman who admitted to leaving her dog tied to a railing for a week without food will not go to prison.
Kisha Curtis pleaded guilty to animal cruelty in July and was sentenced Thursday to 18 months probation.
The dog was found near death in 2011 in a plastic bag at the bottom of a trash chute at Curtis' apartment building in Newark.
Nicknamed Patrick when he was brought in around St. Patrick's Day, the pit bull mix was nursed back to health at an animal hospital. The dog also attracted hundreds of online followers around the world.
Curtis' guilty plea to fourth-degree animal cruelty came on the eve of her trial. The charge carried a maximum 18-month sentence, but she received a lighter term as a first offender.
She was not accused of placing the dog in the trash chute, but prosecutors said she was responsible for abandoning and starving the dog, resulting in his "torment and torture."
She was previously denied entry into a pre-trial program that could have kept her record clean.
Patrick has been living with a foster family after being cared for initially by the Associated Humane Societies and then Garden State Veterinary Specialists in Tinton Falls.
It is unclear if the judge ruled on permanent custody for the dog.
new jersey, animal abuse, dog, newark, new jersey news
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner 4 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner 5 min ago
- Hazmat respond to Carteret freight train derailment
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages 10 min ago
- Springsteen's 'Born to Run' manuscript at NY auction
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos