New Jersey News
3 shot, 2 fatally, after birthday celebration in Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- Three people were shot, two fatally, inside a car parked on a New Jersey street early Friday.
The gunfire erupted on Vassar Avenue in Newark just before 2 a.m.
Two people, identified as 25-year-old Fuquan Davis and 24-year-old Jalil Henry, were pronounced dead at the scene.
The victims were brothers.
A third person, who has not yet been identified, was taken to University Hospital in Newark in unknown condition. A fourth passenger was not injured.
Family members say the trio had gone out Thursday night to celebrate Jalil's birthday.
"He lived with me, and he always go out," grandmother Mardrella Davis said. "And I gave him the key to come back in, but he didn't come back in. And then my daughter came and told me that somebody had shot him and his brother. That they shot them and they was dead."
The investigation was focused on the vehicle, particularly one of the back passenger-side doors. The car was parked in front of the home of another relative.
Authorities say whoever approached from behind appears to have fired the shots from outside the car.
Police closed Vassar Avenue for the investigation.
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 34 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 34 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 5 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital 54 min ago
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych...
54 min ago