New Jersey News
3 shot, 2 fatally, after birthday celebration in Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- Three people were shot, two fatally, inside a car parked on a New Jersey street early Friday.
The gunfire erupted on Vassar Avenue in Newark just before 2 a.m.
Two people, identified as 25-year-old Fuquan Davis and 24-year-old Jalil Henry, were pronounced dead at the scene.
The victims were brothers.
A third person, who has not yet been identified, was taken to University Hospital in Newark in unknown condition. A fourth passenger was not injured.
Family members say the trio had gone out Thursday night to celebrate Jalil's birthday.
"He lived with me, and he always go out," grandmother Mardrella Davis said. "And I gave him the key to come back in, but he didn't come back in. And then my daughter came and told me that somebody had shot him and his brother. That they shot them and they was dead."
The investigation was focused on the vehicle, particularly one of the back passenger-side doors. The car was parked in front of the home of another relative.
Authorities say whoever approached from behind appears to have fired the shots from outside the car.
Police closed Vassar Avenue for the investigation.
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos