New Jersey News
Search underway for mother of baby found in trash in Jersey City
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Authorities are searching for the mother of a newborn baby boy who was found in a plastic shopping bag in a pile of trash in Jersey City Saturday.
The 3-pound boy was taken to Jersey City Medical Center. Doctors say he was born 11 weeks early, but that his vital signs are stable.
Investigators will be looking at surveillance footage near where the baby was found to see if they can spot the person leaving the bag there.
15-year-old Keyshaun Wiggins and his friends found the newborn in a plastic Pathmark bag and immediately went to get the building's super, who called 911.
"The baby could have suffocated in the bag," said Wiggins. "We heard something crying in the bag, we thought it was an animal or something. So we went up to the bag, and we saw the baby's hand coming."
Rebecca Wolmers is the super's wife. She says she and her husband rushed towards the spot where the teens found the child, and what she saw frightened her.
"I opened the bag and made a hole, and saw the baby and it had a lot of tissue around it," Wolmers said.
It is no way for a person's life to start, but the child has beaten the odds, thanks to some Good Samaritans.
"I feel proud of myself," adds Wolmers.
The super's wife tells Eyewitness News that no one in the building was pregnant.
In New Jersey, the Safe Haven Law allows a person to drop off a baby at a manned police or fire station, or at a hospital and not be prosecuted. The law was designed and created to protect children, and avoid situations like this.
For more about the New Jersey Safe Haven Law, CLICK HERE.
new jersey, jersey city, abandoned baby, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 57 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 31 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
57 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
44 min ago