New Jersey News
Elizabeth woman, 2 great-grandchildren found safe
ELIZABETH (WABC) -- Elizabeth Police and New Jersey State Police found a missing 77-year-old woman and her two young great-grandchildren in Newark, miles from home but safe.
Barbara Artis, 77, was seen leaving her Lexington Place residence in Elizabeth on Monday at 5:15 p.m.
Neighbors said they saw Artis walking with her two great-granddaughters, 2-year-old Destiny and 11 month old Lana, but hours later they still had not returned home.
Authorities put out an alert on Tuesday morning. They were located shortly before noon in Newark, four miles away.
All three underwent medical evaluations.
The circumstances of what happened were not immediately known.
The mother of the children said she had gone grocery shopping on Monday afternoon, leaving them in Artis' care. When she returned from the store, all three were gone.
According to the Elizabeth Police Department, Barbara Artis suffers from dementia.
new jersey, elizabeth, missing children, missing person, new jersey news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos