New Jersey News
Woman dead, man hurt in Newark double shooting
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Police in Newark are investigating a double shooting near a playground that left a woman dead and a man wounded.
The shooting happened around 10 p.m. Tuesday near a park next to a Boys and Girls Club on Hawthorne Avenue in the city's South Ward and was Newark's ninth homicide in nine days. The incident took place just blocks from an elementary school.
The woman, identified as 24-yaer-old Dejaa Edwards, was with at least two other people at the time. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
There is no word on whether she was the intended target.
The man who was shot, whose identity has not been released, was rushed to University Hospital in stable condition.
City leaders say some of the earlier victims were known to be involved in gangs and drugs, but the motive for this latest incident remains under investigation. No arrest have been made.
Officials say none of the crimes appear to be related.
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 37 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son