New Jersey News
Woman dead, man hurt in Newark double shooting
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Police in Newark are investigating a double shooting near a playground that left a woman dead and a man wounded.
The shooting happened around 10 p.m. Tuesday near a park next to a Boys and Girls Club on Hawthorne Avenue in the city's South Ward and was Newark's ninth homicide in nine days. The incident took place just blocks from an elementary school.
The woman, identified as 24-yaer-old Dejaa Edwards, was with at least two other people at the time. She was pronounced dead at the scene.
There is no word on whether she was the intended target.
The man who was shot, whose identity has not been released, was rushed to University Hospital in stable condition.
City leaders say some of the earlier victims were known to be involved in gangs and drugs, but the motive for this latest incident remains under investigation. No arrest have been made.
Officials say none of the crimes appear to be related.
new jersey, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos