New Jersey News
Son speaks about mother's stabbing death in New Jersey
WEST ORANGE, N.J. (WABC) -- Police are investigating the death of a 58-year-old woman inside her home in New Jersey.
"She was pretty," said "Jackie" the victim's son.
This quiet, grandmother of two was caring for her youngest grandchild, 20-month-old Nikolle, when her son says an intruder came inside and stabbed Sandy Yuen once in the throat.
"Thank God my mom saved my daughter. I really believe my mom took her upstairs. Leave her unharmed," Jackie said.
Her 27-year-old son has lived in the West Orange home on Chestnut Street for 10 years with his wife, daughter, mother and father. He is terrified of the person who killed his mother, which is why we're not showing his face.
The 58-year-old chef was off on Tuesday, babysitting, when he says around 12:30 in the afternoon, his wife found his mother on the kitchen floor, murdered with her own kitchen knife.
"She told me the house was a mess, smelled like bleach everywhere. She couldn't find my mom, my daughter upstairs which is impossible. My daughter is never upstairs in the crib," Jackie said.
He says there was no forced entry and believes his mother knew she was in danger so she took the toddler upstairs.
He says the thieves left his mother's wallet, car, and expensive jewelry, only taking electronics and less expensive jewelry.
He says Yuen was a friendly hardworking immigrant from Hong Kong, married for more than 30 years, and can't understand who in the world would want to harm her.
"Whoever that is, they know, they got time to put bleach. They got enough time to search the house. They know where to search for. They just know," Jackie said.
Safety police have stepped up patrols in the neighborhood while they continue the search for a suspect.
new jersey, west orange, robbery, murder, stabbing, new jersey news, darla miles
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park