New Jersey News
Newark teen becomes city's 10th murder in 10 days
NEWARK (WABC) -- A 14-year-old boy was fatally shot in Newark Wednesday evening, making him the city's 10th homicide victim in the last 10 days.
The incident happened at the Riverview Terrace Housing Complex on Riverview Court, where the boy lived. Police identified the victim as Ali Rajohn Eric Henderson, who was gunned down in the courtyard area.
Friends and family members of the victim have been gathering and lighting candles at the scene.
No motive has been identified in the shooting, although sources have told Eyewitness News that a large amount of heroin and weapons were found inside the 14 year old victim's bedroom.
Most of the 10 murders over the last 10 days have taken place in the South Ward, and police say many are linked to drugs or gangs. This shooting took place near the east end of the city, at a troubled housing complex.
Community members are crying out for help in the wake of the violence.
"The level of danger in this city is at an all-time high," said Donna Jackson, of the Newark Anti-Violence Coalition. "For those of us here in Newark, we're not just the number one carjacking city in the world, we're the number one murder, crime city in this country, and we need help."
There are more police officers now working longer days in the city, and they have started Operation Blue Zone to deploy more officers in dangerous areas.
new jersey news, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen