New Jersey News
Newark teen becomes city's 10th murder in 10 days
NEWARK (WABC) -- A 14-year-old boy was fatally shot in Newark Wednesday evening, making him the city's 10th homicide victim in the last 10 days.
The incident happened at the Riverview Terrace Housing Complex on Riverview Court, where the boy lived. Police identified the victim as Ali Rajohn Eric Henderson, who was gunned down in the courtyard area.
Friends and family members of the victim have been gathering and lighting candles at the scene.
No motive has been identified in the shooting, although sources have told Eyewitness News that a large amount of heroin and weapons were found inside the 14 year old victim's bedroom.
Most of the 10 murders over the last 10 days have taken place in the South Ward, and police say many are linked to drugs or gangs. This shooting took place near the east end of the city, at a troubled housing complex.
Community members are crying out for help in the wake of the violence.
"The level of danger in this city is at an all-time high," said Donna Jackson, of the Newark Anti-Violence Coalition. "For those of us here in Newark, we're not just the number one carjacking city in the world, we're the number one murder, crime city in this country, and we need help."
There are more police officers now working longer days in the city, and they have started Operation Blue Zone to deploy more officers in dangerous areas.
new jersey news, newark, shooting, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 29 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 46 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 1 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate 13 min ago
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong 10 min ago
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- Brooklyn family desperately searching for...
45 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
29 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage...
40 min ago