New Jersey News
Possible mumps outbreak probed in Monmouth County
FREEHOLD (WABC) -- Health officials in Monmouth County, New Jersey, are investigating 22 possible mumps cases.
Mumps-like symptoms have surfaced in recent days. They include the swelling of salivary glands along with fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness and loss of appetite.
Officials are trying to determine the possible source of infection.
The health department says mumps is spread by droplets of saliva or mucus, usually when the infected person coughs, sneezes or talks.
The virus can also be spread to those who share items used by the infected person, such as cups.
Health officials say 20 of the possible cases are adults, and 21 of the 22 infected people have been either a patron or an employee of D'Jais in Belmar in the last several weeks.
"The medical professionals advised these individuals to be on bed rest, increase their fluid intake and take steps to reduce their fever," said County public health coordinator Michael Meddis.
D'Jais said it would not be open on Friday and Saturday as a precaution and out of concern for its employees and the public.
People who were vaccinated with the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine, as an infant and again between the ages of 4 and 6, are 90 percent less likely to contract mumps, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
If you have mumps, or most other illnesses, there are several things you can do to help prevent spreading the virus to others:
Other recommendations are:
More information about mumps is available from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website at http://www.cdc.gov/mumps/index.html
new jersey news, monmouth county, mumps, new jersey news
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ