New Jersey News
Settlement reached in Montclair football player death
NEWARK -- The family of a New Jersey high school football player who died in 2008 after suffering a concussion reached a settlement with his school on Monday, according to an attorney for the family.
Beth Baldinger, an attorney for Ryne Dougherty's family, said a $2.8 million settlement was reached with Montclair High School and the Montclair Board of Education. The Dougherty family hoped their son's case would bring attention to the importance of properly managing concussions, Baldinger said.
The junior linebacker suffered a brain hemorrhage in an October 2008 game after he was prematurely returned to action following an earlier concussion, Baldinger said. She said the school's athletic trainer had allegedly ignored the 16-year-old's poor results on an impact test, disregarded rules about returning a concussed athlete to the field, and failed to make sure Dougherty had been 100 percent cleared before returning him to play.
"There were failures in the system all the way through," Baldinger said.
Messages left for the school district's attorney after-hours on Monday were not immediately returned.
new jersey news, montclair, new jersey news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 49 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos