New Jersey News
Evacuations after car crashes into building, gas line in Woodbridge
WOODBRIDGE (WABC) -- A dozen multi-family homes in a section of Woodbridge Township were evacuated after a car crashed into a building and struck a gas line.
The accident happened on Highland Avenue in the Keasbey section of the township around 5:30 p.m.
"I heard tires screeching and then a loud boom," an unidentified witness told Eyewitness News.
He was just home from work, literally minutes after walking through the door when he says the whole house shook.
"Sounded like someone ran into the house," he said.
A car with 2 people inside had crashed right through the front door and struck the gas meter in the process.
Our witness wasn't alone inside the home His 4 young nephew and nieces were there as well.
"I looked for the kids, grabbed the kids and went out the house," he said.
The police response time was seconds because the police were already here on the block. A neighbor had a heart attack just before the crash.
Authorities said a dozen multi-family homes containing 4 apartments each were evacuated because of the gas leak caused by the accident.
The gas company cut the gas and capped the leak shortly after 6:00 p.m..
The driver and his passenger were treated for minor injuries.
We spoke to the police who tell us it's too early to all about charges or why the car went out of control in the first place. The folks who live here will be staying with family and friends until the township says it safe to live here again.
new jersey news, accident, woodbridge, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 20 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
34 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos