New Jersey News
Van, NJ Transit bus collide, 1 dead, several injured
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- One person died and several others were injured when a van and NJ Transit bus collided in Newark Wednesday.
It happened around 5:15 p.m. at the intersection of Doremus Avenue and Port Street.
The bus involved was NJ Transit bus #40, which runs from Elizabeth to North Arlington.
There were at 17 passengers plus the driver on board at the time of the accident.
The driver of the van had a medical episode, which caused him to leave his lane into oncoming traffic, leading to the collision. The bus operator was sounding the horn prior to the collision according to NJ Transit.
The van was transporting two people at the time of the collision. The driver of the van was rushed to UMDNJ where he later died. The passenger in the van had non-life threatening injuries.
14 non-life threatening injuries were sustained by occupants of the bus, ranging from facial lacerations to chest injuries. All are being transferred to local hospitals for further treatment.
Newark and NJ TRANSIT police remain on the scene while the investigation continues.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach 1 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito 30 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
43 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos