New Jersey News
Van, NJ Transit bus collide, 1 dead, several injured
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- One person died and several others were injured when a van and NJ Transit bus collided in Newark Wednesday.
It happened around 5:15 p.m. at the intersection of Doremus Avenue and Port Street.
The bus involved was NJ Transit bus #40, which runs from Elizabeth to North Arlington.
There were at 17 passengers plus the driver on board at the time of the accident.
The driver of the van had a medical episode, which caused him to leave his lane into oncoming traffic, leading to the collision. The bus operator was sounding the horn prior to the collision according to NJ Transit.
The van was transporting two people at the time of the collision. The driver of the van was rushed to UMDNJ where he later died. The passenger in the van had non-life threatening injuries.
14 non-life threatening injuries were sustained by occupants of the bus, ranging from facial lacerations to chest injuries. All are being transferred to local hospitals for further treatment.
Newark and NJ TRANSIT police remain on the scene while the investigation continues.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 52 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 52 min ago
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 23 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital