New Jersey News
Van, NJ Transit bus collide, 1 dead, several injured
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- One person died and several others were injured when a van and NJ Transit bus collided in Newark Wednesday.
It happened around 5:15 p.m. at the intersection of Doremus Avenue and Port Street.
The bus involved was NJ Transit bus #40, which runs from Elizabeth to North Arlington.
There were at 17 passengers plus the driver on board at the time of the accident.
The driver of the van had a medical episode, which caused him to leave his lane into oncoming traffic, leading to the collision. The bus operator was sounding the horn prior to the collision according to NJ Transit.
The van was transporting two people at the time of the collision. The driver of the van was rushed to UMDNJ where he later died. The passenger in the van had non-life threatening injuries.
14 non-life threatening injuries were sustained by occupants of the bus, ranging from facial lacerations to chest injuries. All are being transferred to local hospitals for further treatment.
Newark and NJ TRANSIT police remain on the scene while the investigation continues.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- Newtown 911 calls released 23 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 17 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 26 min ago
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen... 29 min ago
- Parents plea for help to save boys from rare disease 33 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
17 min ago
- Bank forecloses on homeowner who is up to...
39 min ago