New Jersey News
3 cops working Seaside boardwalk fire hurt in fall from truck
raw video: Aerials of Seaside Park boardwalk fire
raw video: Raw video of Funtown Pier collapse
SEASIDE PARK, New Jersey (WABC) -- One police officer suffered serious head injuries and two others were hurt when they fell off the back of a moving truck in Seaside Park Friday morning.
Authorities say the vehicle struck a bump on J Street just after 9:30 a.m., and the officers, who were riding in the back of the open truck, fell out the rear.
The injured officers were sitting on a bench in the rear pickup portion of a truck operated by Seaside Park Emergency Management.
They were being driven back to their cars so they could go home and get some rest. For some reason the rear gate became loose and the bench fell out the back of the truck. The three officers toppled out with it.
Two of the officers were taken by helicopter to the hospital and a third was taken by ambulance.
They all sustained head injuries that were non-life threatening.
They are veteran officers and were directing traffic and security overnight at the fire scene. They were supposed to go home for rest and return at 4:00 Friday afternoon.
fire, new jersey news, new jersey, seaside heights, seaside park, seaside park fire, new jersey news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
31 min ago