New Jersey News
3 cops working Seaside boardwalk fire hurt in fall from truck
raw video: Aerials of Seaside Park boardwalk fire
raw video: Raw video of Funtown Pier collapse
SEASIDE PARK, New Jersey (WABC) -- One police officer suffered serious head injuries and two others were hurt when they fell off the back of a moving truck in Seaside Park Friday morning.
Authorities say the vehicle struck a bump on J Street just after 9:30 a.m., and the officers, who were riding in the back of the open truck, fell out the rear.
The injured officers were sitting on a bench in the rear pickup portion of a truck operated by Seaside Park Emergency Management.
They were being driven back to their cars so they could go home and get some rest. For some reason the rear gate became loose and the bench fell out the back of the truck. The three officers toppled out with it.
Two of the officers were taken by helicopter to the hospital and a third was taken by ambulance.
They all sustained head injuries that were non-life threatening.
They are veteran officers and were directing traffic and security overnight at the fire scene. They were supposed to go home for rest and return at 4:00 Friday afternoon.
fire, new jersey news, new jersey, seaside heights, seaside park, seaside park fire, new jersey news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases