New Jersey News
Toddler escapes daycare, changes in the works
POMPTON LAKES, N.J. (WABC) -- A toddler wandered right out the front door at daycare and headed down the street in New Jersey.
Now, there are big changes to make sure other kids don't follow suit.
The boy, nearly two years old, is okay, but the daycare in Pompton Lakes isn't taking any chances and is making changes.
In less than 24 hours, there's a change in the way you come and go from Enchanted Daycare. One of the owners explained off camera.
Security cameras are on the way. All of these changes come after little Jovon Taylor slipped out unnoticed, between a head count, and as teachers cleaned up after a kids party. He made it down the street, before a stranger found him.
Now, the buzzer that lets you out, is higher than little hands can reach. The door handle must be pushed at the same time for it to open, and an alarm sounds when it does.
The very emotional owners said off camera, "Two and a half years ago, we left our teaching and nursing careers to build this daycare as a family business. We put our love and dedication into this."
Parents took their lunch breaks to race over when they heard Eyewitness News' cameras were there.
"I'm in love with this place, I have two kids here, never a problem with the girls here," one parent said.
"I don't have any concern with what happened, things happen," another parent said.
"This is a second home for the kids, not just daycare, it's like home," a parent said.
Cox took her son out of the daycare which also said, "Although this incident was unfortunate, we have made every effort to remediate the issues and plan to continue to run a safe and learning enriched environment."
new jersey news, new jersey, pompton lakes, children, new jersey news, toni yates
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey 26 min ago
- Paterson fire guts 3 buildings, displaces families 53 min ago
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security 47 min ago
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners recalled
- South Korean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous' 44 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos