New Jersey News
Toddler escapes daycare, changes in the works
POMPTON LAKES, N.J. (WABC) -- A toddler wandered right out the front door at daycare and headed down the street in New Jersey.
Now, there are big changes to make sure other kids don't follow suit.
The boy, nearly two years old, is okay, but the daycare in Pompton Lakes isn't taking any chances and is making changes.
In less than 24 hours, there's a change in the way you come and go from Enchanted Daycare. One of the owners explained off camera.
Security cameras are on the way. All of these changes come after little Jovon Taylor slipped out unnoticed, between a head count, and as teachers cleaned up after a kids party. He made it down the street, before a stranger found him.
Now, the buzzer that lets you out, is higher than little hands can reach. The door handle must be pushed at the same time for it to open, and an alarm sounds when it does.
The very emotional owners said off camera, "Two and a half years ago, we left our teaching and nursing careers to build this daycare as a family business. We put our love and dedication into this."
Parents took their lunch breaks to race over when they heard Eyewitness News' cameras were there.
"I'm in love with this place, I have two kids here, never a problem with the girls here," one parent said.
"I don't have any concern with what happened, things happen," another parent said.
"This is a second home for the kids, not just daycare, it's like home," a parent said.
Cox took her son out of the daycare which also said, "Although this incident was unfortunate, we have made every effort to remediate the issues and plan to continue to run a safe and learning enriched environment."
new jersey news, new jersey, pompton lakes, children, new jersey news, toni yates
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box 47 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act