New Jersey News
New Jersey condo complex to use DNA to track dog poop
RIVERDALE -- A northern New Jersey condominium complex is taking a scientific approach to catch dog owners who don't scoop the poop.
The Grand at Riverdale has told residents their dogs' mouths will be swabbed for DNA and any droppings found on the property will be tested in order to fine the owners. The first offense will cost $250 and subsequent fines will rise as high as $1,000.
Grand resident Clara Humphrey says she guesses people spoiled it for themselves because they didn't pick up.
The condo complex of eight four-story buildings will use the Tennessee-based DNA-matching service PooPrints to track down offenders.
Dog owners face a $100 fine if they don't have their pets tested by Nov. 1.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- At least 2 dead, 28 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Metro-North service changes due to East Harlem explosion 51 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East... 41 min ago
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect... 51 min ago
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem 56 min ago
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15... 57 min ago
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion... 57 min ago
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination