New Jersey News
New Jersey condo complex to use DNA to track dog poop
RIVERDALE -- A northern New Jersey condominium complex is taking a scientific approach to catch dog owners who don't scoop the poop.
The Grand at Riverdale has told residents their dogs' mouths will be swabbed for DNA and any droppings found on the property will be tested in order to fine the owners. The first offense will cost $250 and subsequent fines will rise as high as $1,000.
Grand resident Clara Humphrey says she guesses people spoiled it for themselves because they didn't pick up.
The condo complex of eight four-story buildings will use the Tennessee-based DNA-matching service PooPrints to track down offenders.
Dog owners face a $100 fine if they don't have their pets tested by Nov. 1.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield 15 min ago
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- Suspect questioned after body found in container 57 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58 37 min ago
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- Pope Francis celebrates Easter with prayers for peace 50 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos