New Jersey News
Elderly man beaten, robbed at Newark cemetery
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Police are searching for the suspects who attacked a man at a cemetery in Newark, New Jersey.
On a Sunday morning, out of devotion to deceased loved one, the 75-year-old man and his wife came to tend a gravesite, a heartfelt tradition that was horribly, painfully, brutally interrupted.
"He was approached by two males who grabbed him choked him, slashed him, forced him to the ground, continued to assault him," said Thomas Fennelly, the Essex County Assistant Prosecutor.
One frail man, defenseless against two young men, who not only beat him mercilessly, they then stole his car, which police have recovered. They are combing it for evidence that may lead to the attackers.
"We're looking for two black males, oval face, brown and black jacket," police said.
Rabbi Frankel was driving down Grove Street, looking for where the attack he'd also heard about occurred.
It's a graveyard, more than 100 years old, in an area where graves representing many religious denominations cover acres of land.
"It should be a place for people to respect, instead of such a heinous crime," Rabbi Frankel said.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news, toni yates
- Jersey City water main break affecting service
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 3 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 40 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos