New Jersey News
Downtown Newark to get first high-rise in 50 years
NEWARK (WABC) -- Ground was broken Friday morning for a new building in Newark, the city's first downtown high-rise residential project in more than half a century.
Newark Mayor Cory Booker, U.S. Senator Robert Menendez of New Jersey, and NBA legend Shaquille O'Neal, a native of Newark, were all on hand for the ceremony.
The 23-story, 169-unit market rate apartment building is called One Riverview at Rector Street.
It will include studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments, with amenities including a 24-hour doorman and fitness center.
Boraie Development, LLC, is partnering with O'Neal to construct the building.
It's one of a number of projects O'Neal and Boraie are working on in New Jersey.
Last year he opened a new movie theater after a $7 million renovation.
The apartment building is near Newark's waterfront. It will be on the site of a building that once held hops for the Ballantine beer company.
new jersey news, new jersey, newark, cory booker, new jersey news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub 30 min ago
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- NJ man dies in Long Island Sound canoe accident
- Newtown mental health funding running low
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 4 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos