New Jersey News
Downtown Newark to get first high-rise in 50 years
NEWARK (WABC) -- Ground was broken Friday morning for a new building in Newark, the city's first downtown high-rise residential project in more than half a century.
Newark Mayor Cory Booker, U.S. Senator Robert Menendez of New Jersey, and NBA legend Shaquille O'Neal, a native of Newark, were all on hand for the ceremony.
The 23-story, 169-unit market rate apartment building is called One Riverview at Rector Street.
It will include studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments, with amenities including a 24-hour doorman and fitness center.
Boraie Development, LLC, is partnering with O'Neal to construct the building.
It's one of a number of projects O'Neal and Boraie are working on in New Jersey.
Last year he opened a new movie theater after a $7 million renovation.
The apartment building is near Newark's waterfront. It will be on the site of a building that once held hops for the Ballantine beer company.
new jersey news, new jersey, newark, cory booker, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 14 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 20 min ago
- Brownsville hit and run accident kills pedestrian 3 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring
20 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
14 min ago