New Jersey News
North Bergen fire leaves hundreds homeless
NORTH BERGEN (WABC) -- A four-alarm fire burned through a five-story building in North Bergen on Saturday.
The fire started just before 6 p.m. on 9201 John F. Kennedy Boulevard West.
Flames shot through the roof of the building, and smoke could be seen from Manhattan.
Investigators believe the blaze began as an electrical fire on the 5th floor, and then spread to the cockloft. The fire then refused to die, spreading from one part of the complex to the other, engulfing the 120-unit structure, and leaving hundreds of residents without a place to live.
One firefighter suffered broken ribs after falling down some stairs. His injuries are not life-threatening.
Residents were evacuated from the building, and hundreds were left displaced.
The Red Cross and Mayor of North Bergen announced that a shelter was setup at a local high school.
Some of the displaced residents had a reason to smile Sunday as they reunited with their pets. North Bergen firefighters brought out cats, dogs, birds and even a turtle. Then they went down the list, and put pet owners and their pets together.
However, the bad news is 9201 Kennedy Boulevard is in bad shape. A North Bergen Township official says repairs could take months, and that the building may need to come down.
The neighboring apartment building that was evacuated Saturday night as a precaution was not damaged.
new jersey news, new jersey, fire, north bergen, new jersey news, lucy yang
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 52 min ago
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus 40 min ago
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl 48 min ago
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn 41 min ago
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia 6 min ago
- Backpacks left at Boaston marathon finish...
55 min ago
- Community rallies around 13-year-old victim...
42 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
30 min ago
- Party bus goes very awry on Long Island
41 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos