New Jersey News
1 dead when NJ Transit bus, Econoline van collide on GSP
SADDLE BROOK, N.J. (WABC) -- One person was killed when a New Jersey Transit bus and an Econoline van collided on the Garden State Parkway in Saddle Brook Tuesday night.
The accident happened around 7:30 p.m. just south of the Bergen Toll Plaza, and the crash shut down the southbound lanes at exit 159 for more than four hours.
Thee crash involved the bus, which had no passengers on board, and a packed van heading to a Newark church from Spring Valley, New York.
One passenger in the van, identified as Velma Castro, was killed, and four others were seriously hurt when the vehicle overturned upon impact. Officials say Castro is survived by her husband, who was also in the van, and four children.
Castro was headed to bible study in the overcrowded van.
The Route 163 bus was heading to Port Authority to be put into service.
There were 22 passengers in the van, 12 of whom were injured, and four of them remain in critical condition. Others had minor injuries, including the bus driver.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey transit, garden state parkway, bus accident, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act