New Jersey News
1 dead when NJ Transit bus, Econoline van collide on GSP
SADDLE BROOK, N.J. (WABC) -- One person was killed when a New Jersey Transit bus and an Econoline van collided on the Garden State Parkway in Saddle Brook Tuesday night.
The accident happened around 7:30 p.m. just south of the Bergen Toll Plaza, and the crash shut down the southbound lanes at exit 159 for more than four hours.
Thee crash involved the bus, which had no passengers on board, and a packed van heading to a Newark church from Spring Valley, New York.
One passenger in the van, identified as Velma Castro, was killed, and four others were seriously hurt when the vehicle overturned upon impact. Officials say Castro is survived by her husband, who was also in the van, and four children.
Castro was headed to bible study in the overcrowded van.
The Route 163 bus was heading to Port Authority to be put into service.
There were 22 passengers in the van, 12 of whom were injured, and four of them remain in critical condition. Others had minor injuries, including the bus driver.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey transit, garden state parkway, bus accident, new jersey news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 34 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings 30 min ago
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 12 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 28 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
28 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos