New Jersey News
Point Pleasant Beach shooting prompts school lockdown
POINT PLEASANT BEACH (WABC) -- Authorities briefly locked down schools in Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey Wednesday morning after a report of a shootingt in the area.
A 25-year old man shot himself on the roof of a hardware store in Point Pleasant.
The incident did not involve anything inside the schools and students were not in danger, police said.
Police say the incident began with domestic violence in Brick Township. The suspect, Robert Terry, fled in a taxi, and was located on the roof of a building on Arnold Avenue near Route 35. Police had roads blocked in the area.
Brick SWAT members gained access to the roof, where the suspect shot himself in the head with a .25 caliber handgun. He is listed in critical condition at Jersey Shore Medical Center.
Officials say the suspect was wanted for a shooting on Tuesday night in Brick Township.
The lockdown at area schools was lifted after about 45 minutes.
new jersey news, new jersey, point pleasant, shooting, school lockdown, new jersey news
- Designer L'Wren Scott dead in apparent suicide 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Company insider comes forward against energy company 16 min ago
- Photos: NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade 51 min ago
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over gays 50 min ago
- Suspect accused of setting Brooklyn apartment fire 3 min ago
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Earthquake shakes Los Angeles awake 31 min ago
- Tuesday last day to apply for TCS NYC Marathon 12 min ago
- Photos: Dancing With The Stars Season 18 cast
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- St. Pat's parade proceeds amid tension over...
50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clearing And Cold
24 min ago