New Jersey News
Celebrity Cruises says hundreds sickened by stomach bug on ship
BAYONNE (WABC) -- Celebrity Cruises says over 300 passengers suffered a gastro-intestinal illness, thought to be norovirus, on a cruise to Nova Scotia.
The ship, the Celebrity Summit, departed Cape Liberty in Bayonne on Sept. 21st and returned Saturday morning.
In a statement released Wednesday, Celebrity Cruises said that over the course of the sailing, 311 of 2,113 passengers and 14 of 954 crew members experienced the illness.
The company says those affected by the illness responded well to over-the-counter medication being administered onboard the ship.
Following the ship's arrival, Celebrity Cruises says it will conduct an extensive and thorough sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal, to help prevent any illness from affecting the next sailing.
Also, all passengers will receive a letter at boarding that asks if they have experienced any gastrointestinal symptoms within the last three days.
The cruise line says any guests wishing to reschedule have been allowed to do so.
new jersey news, new jersey, cruise ship, new jersey news
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 21 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto 18 min ago
- Obama to pay tribute to Mandela in South Africa
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- MTA announces new safety measures after derailment
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness' 45 min ago
- Joe Torre elected to Baseball Hall of Fame
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area 58 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
21 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More Snow On The Way
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos