New Jersey News
Celebrity Cruises says hundreds sickened by stomach bug on ship
BAYONNE (WABC) -- Celebrity Cruises says over 300 passengers suffered a gastro-intestinal illness, thought to be norovirus, on a cruise to Nova Scotia.
The ship, the Celebrity Summit, departed Cape Liberty in Bayonne on Sept. 21st and returned Saturday morning.
In a statement released Wednesday, Celebrity Cruises said that over the course of the sailing, 311 of 2,113 passengers and 14 of 954 crew members experienced the illness.
The company says those affected by the illness responded well to over-the-counter medication being administered onboard the ship.
Following the ship's arrival, Celebrity Cruises says it will conduct an extensive and thorough sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal, to help prevent any illness from affecting the next sailing.
Also, all passengers will receive a letter at boarding that asks if they have experienced any gastrointestinal symptoms within the last three days.
The cruise line says any guests wishing to reschedule have been allowed to do so.
new jersey news, new jersey, cruise ship, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted 29 min ago
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings 28 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act 17 min ago