New Jersey News
Celebrity Cruises says hundreds sickened by stomach bug on ship
BAYONNE (WABC) -- Celebrity Cruises says over 300 passengers suffered a gastro-intestinal illness, thought to be norovirus, on a cruise to Nova Scotia.
The ship, the Celebrity Summit, departed Cape Liberty in Bayonne on Sept. 21st and returned Saturday morning.
In a statement released Wednesday, Celebrity Cruises said that over the course of the sailing, 311 of 2,113 passengers and 14 of 954 crew members experienced the illness.
The company says those affected by the illness responded well to over-the-counter medication being administered onboard the ship.
Following the ship's arrival, Celebrity Cruises says it will conduct an extensive and thorough sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal, to help prevent any illness from affecting the next sailing.
Also, all passengers will receive a letter at boarding that asks if they have experienced any gastrointestinal symptoms within the last three days.
The cruise line says any guests wishing to reschedule have been allowed to do so.
new jersey news, new jersey, cruise ship, new jersey news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State 23 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen