New Jersey News
Celebrity Cruises says hundreds sickened by stomach bug on ship
BAYONNE (WABC) -- Celebrity Cruises says over 300 passengers suffered a gastro-intestinal illness, thought to be norovirus, on a cruise to Nova Scotia.
The ship, the Celebrity Summit, departed Cape Liberty in Bayonne on Sept. 21st and returned Saturday morning.
In a statement released Wednesday, Celebrity Cruises said that over the course of the sailing, 311 of 2,113 passengers and 14 of 954 crew members experienced the illness.
The company says those affected by the illness responded well to over-the-counter medication being administered onboard the ship.
Following the ship's arrival, Celebrity Cruises says it will conduct an extensive and thorough sanitizing onboard the ship and within the cruise terminal, to help prevent any illness from affecting the next sailing.
Also, all passengers will receive a letter at boarding that asks if they have experienced any gastrointestinal symptoms within the last three days.
The cruise line says any guests wishing to reschedule have been allowed to do so.
new jersey news, new jersey, cruise ship, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys 13 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire 38 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos