New Jersey News
New York City firefighter dead in crash with apparent drunk driver
UNION (WABC) -- A uniformed New York City firefighter riding his motorcycle to work was fatally struck by an apparent drunk driver in New Jersey early Friday.
The crash happened in the area of North Avenue and Vivian Terrace in Union Township around 5:15 a.m.
The 57-year-old victim, identified as John Monteverde of Whitestone, Queens, was apparently struck while the car was attempting to make a turn, and was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of vehicle was arrested and charged with DWI.
Union Police Lieutenant Robert Christie confirmed that the FDNY was assisting in the investigation.
Monterverde worked at Engine Company 159 in Dongan Hills.
FDNY Commisioner Salvatore Cassano released the following statement:
"The entire Department mourns the tragic loss of Firefighter John Monteverde, and we extend our deepest sympathies to his family and friends. John selflessly served the city for more than 31 years during which he was cited four times for his bravery at fires and for his life-saving medical work as a member of Engine Company 22 in Manhattan. He also devoted countless hours working tirelessly at the World Trade Center site in the rescue and recovery effort following the September 11 terrorist attacks, which took the lives of nine of his fellow firefighters at Engine 22 and Ladder 13. Our hearts and prayers are with his family and all those who knew and loved him."
new jersey news, new jersey, union, new york city, fdny, drunk driving, new jersey news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 34 min ago
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall