New Jersey News
Rahway woman charged with homicide in texting-while-driving crash
RAHWAY (WABC) -- A New Jersey woman is charged with vehicular homicide after authorities say she caused a deadly accident while texting and driving.
Jennifer Sahoye, 35, of Rahway, is now the first person charged with homicide in Essex County in connection with a texting-while-driving incident.
Prosecutors say Sahoye was driving in the express lanes of Route 1 & 9 in Newark on October 10 when she crossed into the local lanes and hit a pickup truck driven by 58-year-old Carlos Carvalho.
The impact caused Carvalho's truck to overturn, and the Elizabeth man was ejected and suffered fatal injuries.
Authorities say they have proof that Sahoye, who was also driving with a suspended license, was texting at the time of the crash.
Family members said Carvahlo was a father of three who had been married for 36 years and worked as a welder. His son told Eyewitness News reporter Jim Dolan that his dad would do anything for his family.
Sahoye was originally charged with causing death while driving with a suspended license, but the charges were upgraded after it became clear she was using her phone.
She being released from the Essex County jail on $50,000 bond and faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted.
new jersey news, new jersey, texting while driving, texting, rahway, newark, new jersey news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 17 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 20 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
20 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos