New Jersey News
Family shocked by Marine's homecoming at Giants game
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- It's a moment the Burgos family will never forget, a surprise military homecoming in front of thousands at Monday night's Giants game.
Lance Corporal Justin Burgos knew weeks ago that he would walk onto the field and finally see his family after more than a year at war.
The Marine admitted it was tough to keep quiet.
"When he told me he would be delayed until November I said, that's the Armed Forces for you. Sometimes they tell you something then everything changes. I was sad but I was more worried about his safety," said Armando Burgos, Justin's father.
"My dad's not easily surprised. So it's kind of funny," Lance Corporal Justin Burgos said.
The surprise was perfectly orchestrated.
The Elizabeth, New Jersey family thought they were simply being honored with a special message on the big screen.
"But then when he said, 'Look to the side,' and I saw him walking out that was shocking. Tears came to my eyes, I was just happy to see him," Armando Burgos said.
They were so happy they found it hard to let each other go.
Fans cheered and some even cried.
"I thank them all for this," Armando Burgos said, "I'm going to remember this for the rest of my life."
Lance Corporal Burgos says even bigger than seeing his family and getting a standing ovation, is knowing the rest of the people he worked with are back also home with their families.
new jersey news, new jersey, u.s. military, new york giants, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act