New Jersey News
Ex-boyfriend pleads not guilty in Waldwick mom murder
WALDWICK (WABC) -- The New Jersey man suspected of murdering the 23-year-old mother of his infant child pleaded not guilty during his first court appearance Friday morning.
Mark Spatucci, 22, is accused of killing his ex-girlfriend with their 10-month-old baby in the room.
Investigators say he broke into the Waldwick home Tuesday night where 23-year-old Mary Greff, a former Miss New Jersey Teen USA contestant, lived with her parents.
She was believed to have been strangled, though autopsy results were pending.
Her body was not found until at least 12 hours later.
Prosecutors said Greff and Spatucci began dating two years ago, that she gave birth in February and that the two had lived together for a short time before she split from him and moved in with her parents.
Investigators believe Spatucci drove to the Greff residence late Tuesday and entered, undetected, through a second-floor window. Once inside Greff's bedroom, prosecutors say an argument turned violent and Spatucci killed her, leaving the body on the bed.
Greff's parents were believed to be asleep in another part of the house. Her father found her dead early Wednesday, police said.
Prosecutors said Spatucci had court-ordered custody visitation with the infant, but Greff had full custody.
Spatucci was located late Wednesday in Midland Park and taken into custody for questioning.
He was charged Thursday with murder, felony murder, burglary, endangering the welfare of a child and hindering apprehension.
Spatucci is being held on $2 million bond.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
new jersey news, new jersey, murder, new jersey news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision 39 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall