New Jersey News
Ex-boyfriend pleads not guilty in Waldwick mom murder
WALDWICK (WABC) -- The New Jersey man suspected of murdering the 23-year-old mother of his infant child pleaded not guilty during his first court appearance Friday morning.
Mark Spatucci, 22, is accused of killing his ex-girlfriend with their 10-month-old baby in the room.
Investigators say he broke into the Waldwick home Tuesday night where 23-year-old Mary Greff, a former Miss New Jersey Teen USA contestant, lived with her parents.
She was believed to have been strangled, though autopsy results were pending.
Her body was not found until at least 12 hours later.
Prosecutors said Greff and Spatucci began dating two years ago, that she gave birth in February and that the two had lived together for a short time before she split from him and moved in with her parents.
Investigators believe Spatucci drove to the Greff residence late Tuesday and entered, undetected, through a second-floor window. Once inside Greff's bedroom, prosecutors say an argument turned violent and Spatucci killed her, leaving the body on the bed.
Greff's parents were believed to be asleep in another part of the house. Her father found her dead early Wednesday, police said.
Prosecutors said Spatucci had court-ordered custody visitation with the infant, but Greff had full custody.
Spatucci was located late Wednesday in Midland Park and taken into custody for questioning.
He was charged Thursday with murder, felony murder, burglary, endangering the welfare of a child and hindering apprehension.
Spatucci is being held on $2 million bond.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
new jersey news, new jersey, murder, new jersey news
- JFK baggage handlers charged with theft
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze being laid to rest
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Arrests in counterfeit health and beauty products case
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Orange County school evacuated after ceiling collapse
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos