New Jersey News
Liberty State Park focus of search for woman believed murdered
CRANFORD (WABC) -- Authorities have resumed their search for the body of a New Jersey woman who they say was killed in Union Township.
A search crew of close to 100 law enforcement officers converged on Liberty State Park.
In bright yellow vests, they fanned out across an area of trees and shrubs on the south end of the park, just across from the water.
They even checked the dumpster of a local diner.
They are looking for the body of 43-year-old April Wyckoff.
The Union County Prosecutor has already charged Mathew Ballister with her murder; despite the fact her body has not been found.
Once they searched his home on Mercer Avenue in Union Township, they moved forward with the charges.
Police believe Wyckoff was beaten to death sometime Tuesday night in Ballister's house. They will only say the two were in a domestic relationship.
Ballister's mother, Eleanor Schofield, was arrested too. Police say she tried to hide and destroy evidence, including clothing.
Police say the night of the murder; Ballister was driving a 2005 tan Hummer.
The search in Liberty State Park ended with crews getting into their cars and driving off together.
Ballister is being held on $2 million bail.
Anyone with information about Wyckoff's death or anyone who may have had contact with Ballister or Schofield anytime between Tuesday night and Wednesday night is being urged to contact Union County Prosecutor's Office Detective Robert Henderson at 908-527-4126 or 908-347-2686.
new jersey news, new jersey, cranford, union township, murder, new jersey news, phil lipof
- 3 critical after fire tears through Brooklyn home 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt 53 min ago
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique 42 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated 47 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders 36 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn 55 min ago
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident