New Jersey News
Liberty State Park focus of search for woman believed murdered
CRANFORD (WABC) -- Authorities have resumed their search for the body of a New Jersey woman who they say was killed in Union Township.
A search crew of close to 100 law enforcement officers converged on Liberty State Park.
In bright yellow vests, they fanned out across an area of trees and shrubs on the south end of the park, just across from the water.
They even checked the dumpster of a local diner.
They are looking for the body of 43-year-old April Wyckoff.
The Union County Prosecutor has already charged Mathew Ballister with her murder; despite the fact her body has not been found.
Once they searched his home on Mercer Avenue in Union Township, they moved forward with the charges.
Police believe Wyckoff was beaten to death sometime Tuesday night in Ballister's house. They will only say the two were in a domestic relationship.
Ballister's mother, Eleanor Schofield, was arrested too. Police say she tried to hide and destroy evidence, including clothing.
Police say the night of the murder; Ballister was driving a 2005 tan Hummer.
The search in Liberty State Park ended with crews getting into their cars and driving off together.
Ballister is being held on $2 million bail.
Anyone with information about Wyckoff's death or anyone who may have had contact with Ballister or Schofield anytime between Tuesday night and Wednesday night is being urged to contact Union County Prosecutor's Office Detective Robert Henderson at 908-527-4126 or 908-347-2686.
new jersey news, new jersey, cranford, union township, murder, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store 27 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 25 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
22 min ago