New Jersey News
Liberty State Park focus of search for woman believed murdered
CRANFORD (WABC) -- Authorities have resumed their search for the body of a New Jersey woman who they say was killed in Union Township.
A search crew of close to 100 law enforcement officers converged on Liberty State Park.
In bright yellow vests, they fanned out across an area of trees and shrubs on the south end of the park, just across from the water.
They even checked the dumpster of a local diner.
They are looking for the body of 43-year-old April Wyckoff.
The Union County Prosecutor has already charged Mathew Ballister with her murder; despite the fact her body has not been found.
Once they searched his home on Mercer Avenue in Union Township, they moved forward with the charges.
Police believe Wyckoff was beaten to death sometime Tuesday night in Ballister's house. They will only say the two were in a domestic relationship.
Ballister's mother, Eleanor Schofield, was arrested too. Police say she tried to hide and destroy evidence, including clothing.
Police say the night of the murder; Ballister was driving a 2005 tan Hummer.
The search in Liberty State Park ended with crews getting into their cars and driving off together.
Ballister is being held on $2 million bail.
Anyone with information about Wyckoff's death or anyone who may have had contact with Ballister or Schofield anytime between Tuesday night and Wednesday night is being urged to contact Union County Prosecutor's Office Detective Robert Henderson at 908-527-4126 or 908-347-2686.
new jersey news, new jersey, cranford, union township, murder, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures