New Jersey News
Perth Amboy church gutted by fire
PERTH AMBOY, N.J. (WABC) -- A fast-moving fire tore through a church in Perth Amboy, New Jersey early Monday morning.
The blaze broke out around 1 a.m. at St. Cyril and Methodius church on Jacques Street.
Flames destroyed the roof of the parish.
"The roof went very quickly, it went from the back of the church toward the front of the church," said Perth Amboy Fire Chief Ben Ruiz. "We started to evacuate, went to the rectory and notified the pastor, who was asleep and had no idea."
Two homes behind the church also had to be evacuated. There were no injuries.
The pastor said he believes the 90-year old church can be rebuilt, despite suffering extensive damage. It is part of the Polish National Catholic Church.
Word of the fire spread quickly through the city's Peruvian community that their church, which honors a miracle of a church in Lima surviving an earthquake centuries ago, was burning down.
"I couldn't believe it because we worked hard at this church to make it better, to make it pretty," said church member Cynthia Sanchez.
Investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire.
For more information on how you can help, call 732-510-9552.
new jersey news, new jersey, perth amboy, fire, new jersey news, toni yates
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 26 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos