New Jersey News
Perth Amboy church gutted by fire
PERTH AMBOY, N.J. (WABC) -- A fast-moving fire tore through a church in Perth Amboy, New Jersey early Monday morning.
The blaze broke out around 1 a.m. at St. Cyril and Methodius church on Jacques Street.
Flames destroyed the roof of the parish.
"The roof went very quickly, it went from the back of the church toward the front of the church," said Perth Amboy Fire Chief Ben Ruiz. "We started to evacuate, went to the rectory and notified the pastor, who was asleep and had no idea."
Two homes behind the church also had to be evacuated. There were no injuries.
The pastor said he believes the 90-year old church can be rebuilt, despite suffering extensive damage. It is part of the Polish National Catholic Church.
Word of the fire spread quickly through the city's Peruvian community that their church, which honors a miracle of a church in Lima surviving an earthquake centuries ago, was burning down.
"I couldn't believe it because we worked hard at this church to make it better, to make it pretty," said church member Cynthia Sanchez.
Investigators are trying to determine the cause of the fire.
For more information on how you can help, call 732-510-9552.
new jersey news, new jersey, perth amboy, fire, new jersey news, toni yates
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 58 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 38 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 19 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 32 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 18 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
36 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
38 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp...
32 min ago