New Jersey News
Woodland Park house fire kills elderly couple
WOODLAND PARK, N.J. (WABC) -- Two people are dead after a house fire early Monday morning in Woodland Park, New Jersey.
Firefighters from West Paterson found the bodies of a man and woman, both in their 70's.
The fire appears to have started just after midnight with an electrical problem in the basement of the home on Overmount Ave.
Investigators found that an electrical wire coming from the main electric box was rubbing against a metal vent pipe, wearing away the wire's insulation and sparking the fire.
Authorities say the home had smoke detectors but they were melted, so it is not clear whether they were working properly.
The identities of the victims have not yet been released.
new jersey news, new jersey, fire, woodland park, fire death, new jersey news
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem 41 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday