New Jersey News
Halloween curfews in place in some NJ towns
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- The night before Halloween is called "mischief night", but there's nothing cute about it in some parts.
Many towns in New Jersey are trying to thwart mischievous behavior the night before Halloween by implementing curfews.
Perth Amboy Police combed neighborhoods using flashlights to catch kids breaking curfew.
It's a problem Sergeant Luis Armas say has improved since they stepped up enforcement.
"They would stay past the curfew and that would entice them to do criminal mischief. The toilet paper and the soup and especially the eggs," said Sgt. Luis Armas, Perth Amboy Police.
Anyone under 18 who's still on the street after 6 p.m. without supervision gets escorted home to their parents.
Police started spreading the word earlier this month at the schools, even telling local merchants to be careful not to sell items kids could use for mischief.
Cities and towns like Woodbridge, Milltown, and River Vale are doing the same.
"We have marked, unmarked cars out, but it's not to prevent the kids from having fun. It's really to ensure the kids will be safe and people's property will be protected at the same time," said Detective Sgt. John DeVoe, River Vale Police Department.
new jersey news, new jersey, halloween, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 56 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Man found shot to death in Bronx apartment
- Crash on Garden State Parkway leaves 1 dead, 2 hurt
- Liam Neeson to tour stables amid carriage horse debate
- New measure to make child care more affordable
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight savings time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Rangers top Red Wings 3-0 in Lundqvist's 300th win
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
56 min ago