New Jersey News
Woman gives birth near Holland Tunnel entrance
JERSEY CITY, New Jersey (WABC) -- Port Authority police came to the aid of a New York City woman who gave birth on the Jersey City side of the Holland Tunnel.
Ying Chen and Kai Tang, who live together in Brooklyn, had been in Philadelphia and were headed home to meet with their doctor when the 21-year-old Chen went into labor. Tang pulled off the road around 6:45 a.m. Monday near the tunnel's entrance in Jersey City and sought help, attracting the attention of officers Catherine Prior and Luis Alvardo.
The pair assisted Chen and called for an ambulance. Officer Matthew Smith, who also is an EMT, soon responded and was able to clamp and cut the infant's umbilical cord.
Chen and her daughter were taken to a hospital, where both were in good condition.
new jersey news, new jersey, new jersey news
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather...
53 min ago