New Jersey News
Lodi High School lockdown lifted; Police search finds nothing
LODI (WABC) -- Lodi High School in New Jersey was temporary locked down Tuesday morning after an anonymous tip of some incident happening inside the school.
The incident began around 10:30 a.m., when an announcement over the loudspeaker informed students that the lockdown was not a drill and there was potentially an armed individual inside the building. The students remained in the classroom, and police were called to the scene.
Authorities say a search of the school yielded nothing.
The Hasbrouck Heights School District was also locked down in response to the threat made to Lodi High School.
Parents gathered in front of the building, waiting for their children to come outside. And before the all-clear was given, students tell Eyewitness News reporter Darla Miles that they immediately reacted, huddling in corners and barricading their classroom doors with their desks.
Then, they sat and waited until police went door-to-door and physically cleared them. Each student was subject to a patdown before they were allowed outside.
"We were in gym class, and on the loudspeaker, all you hear is lockdown, lockdown," one student said. "So we just got into lockdown mode. We would hide inside the showers and lockdown all the buildings, and we were just sitting there. And then the cops came to the door and said, 'We're the police. Are you guys safe?'...They called lockdown off after they cleared the building. They just wanted to make sure everything was safe. We got patted down by police and got released one by one."
Both lockdowns were lifted around 11:30 a.m. when the threat was deemed unfounded.
new jersey news, new jersey, lodi, school lockdown, new jersey news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says 24 min ago
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos