New Jersey News
Newark drug suspect fatally shot by sheriff's officers
NEWARK (WABC) -- Authorities say a suspect was fatally shot by Essex County Sheriff's officers during a drug investigation in Newark Wednesday afternoon.
According to the Essex County Prosecutor's Office, the county sheriff's department was conducting the investigation near West 4th Street and North 9th Street when they attempted to arrest a suspect at about 1:15 p.m.
Prosecutors say the suspect fled on foot, leading to a chase, and as the officers approached the suspect he reached for a gun.
Officers fired two shots, killing the suspect, 22-year old Jose Quinonez of Newark.
A loaded gun was recovered at the scene and suspected narcotics were later found on the man who was shot.
The prosecutor's office says a crowd gathered as the incident unfolded, and authorities contacted members of the Newark Clergy Alliance who responded to the scene to speak with residents and the family and to quell tensions.
The names of the sheriff's officers involved in the shooting have not yet been released. They were taken to the hospital to be evaluated.
new jersey news, new jersey, newark, police shooting, new jersey news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos