New Jersey News
Newark drug suspect fatally shot by sheriff's officers
NEWARK (WABC) -- Authorities say a suspect was fatally shot by Essex County Sheriff's officers during a drug investigation in Newark Wednesday afternoon.
According to the Essex County Prosecutor's Office, the county sheriff's department was conducting the investigation near West 4th Street and North 9th Street when they attempted to arrest a suspect at about 1:15 p.m.
Prosecutors say the suspect fled on foot, leading to a chase, and as the officers approached the suspect he reached for a gun.
Officers fired two shots, killing the suspect, 22-year old Jose Quinonez of Newark.
A loaded gun was recovered at the scene and suspected narcotics were later found on the man who was shot.
The prosecutor's office says a crowd gathered as the incident unfolded, and authorities contacted members of the Newark Clergy Alliance who responded to the scene to speak with residents and the family and to quell tensions.
The names of the sheriff's officers involved in the shooting have not yet been released. They were taken to the hospital to be evaluated.
new jersey news, new jersey, newark, police shooting, new jersey news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 47 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify 31 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 19 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 19 min ago