New Jersey News
Paramus police release 911 calls in Garden State Plaza scare
PARAMUS, N.J. (WABC) -- With a gunman on the loose Monday night, 911 dispatchers got over a thousand calls, most from people trapped inside the mall.
In 911 tapes just released by police you can hear panic in their voices.
Caller: "There is a guy shooting. Please hurry."
Dispatcher: "What do you need?"
Caller: "There's a guy shooting. I don't know, but there people running. There's a guy shooting. Please hurry, we are scared."
Fear takes over as shoppers and clerks barricade themselves in stores at the Garden State Plaza mall as a person dressed in black roams the halls with a gun.
Caller: "He shot out a window because there's glass everywhere" <br / Dispatcher: "Okay, did you see him, hun"?
Caller: "Yes, he had on leather, like as if he was riding a motorcycle. He walked by our store. He actually held up his hand as if he was saying hi to me, and just kept walking by."
The gunman, 20-year-old Richard Shoop didn't shoot or kill anyone. Later, he would turn the gun on himself.
But at the time, shoppers and store employees feared for their lives telling 911 dispatchers where police could find them.
Dispatch got so overwhelmed, police say they had to nearly quadruple the number of people answering calls.
Most called from locked back offices, bathrooms and stocking rooms where they were taking cover.
Eventually police found the shooter in a remote part of the mall with a self-inflected gunshot wound.
Monday's incident isn't keeping people away from the Garden State Plaza mall. If this parking lot is any indication, the mall has sprung back to life.
new jersey news, new jersey, shooting, new jersey news, jim dolan
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
37 min ago