New Jersey News
Irvington fatal police shooting under investigation
IRVINGTON, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a fatal police-involved shooting early Monday morning in Irvington, New Jersey.Police responded to a domestic violence call at about 2 a.m., when a woman on Stanley Street reported that her estranged husband was breaking into her apartment.
According to the Essex County Prosecutor, officers approached the man identified as the husband, 30-year old Abdul Kamal.
The prosecutor's office says Kamal refused to comply with officers commands, refused to remove his hand from his pocket, and threatened the officers, one of whom sprayed him with pepper spray.
Authorities say that when Kamal continued to threaten the officers and kept his hand in his pocket, three officers shot at him, firing a total of 15 rounds.
Kamal was pronounced dead at the scene. No weapon was recovered.
The prosecutor's office says Kamal had a history of domestic violence and that the shooting by police was found to be justified.
The case is still to be presented to a grand jury after further investigation.
new jersey news, new jersey, irvington, police shooting, new jersey news
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Day Parade 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA men's basketball tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Up Close with Diana Williams
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos