New Jersey News
Irvington fatal police shooting under investigation
IRVINGTON, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities are investigating a fatal police-involved shooting early Monday morning in Irvington, New Jersey.Police responded to a domestic violence call at about 2 a.m., when a woman on Stanley Street reported that her estranged husband was breaking into her apartment.
According to the Essex County Prosecutor, officers approached the man identified as the husband, 30-year old Abdul Kamal.
The prosecutor's office says Kamal refused to comply with officers commands, refused to remove his hand from his pocket, and threatened the officers, one of whom sprayed him with pepper spray.
Authorities say that when Kamal continued to threaten the officers and kept his hand in his pocket, three officers shot at him, firing a total of 15 rounds.
Kamal was pronounced dead at the scene. No weapon was recovered.
The prosecutor's office says Kamal had a history of domestic violence and that the shooting by police was found to be justified.
The case is still to be presented to a grand jury after further investigation.
new jersey news, new jersey, irvington, police shooting, new jersey news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 27 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos