New Jersey News
Lyndhurst man abducted, beaten; wife tied up
LYNDHURST (WABC) -- The victim of a home invasion and abduction in New Jersey managed to escape his attackers overnight, even after he was severely beaten.
The 60-year-old jewelry store owner was kidnapped from his Lake Avenue home in Lyndhurst and is now okay and recovering at Hackensack University Medical Center after the harrowing ordeal.
Police say three suspects barged into the home around 9 p.m. Wednesday, grabbed the man and tied up his wife inside the home.
He was then thrown in a car and driving from the scene.
The wife managed to free herself and called a relative, who contacted 911. Police officer who arrived at the scene had to immediately jump into action.
"As the officers were responding, an active [suspect] fled out the back door," Lyndhurst Police Chief James O'Connor said. "There was a foot pursuit. Unfortunately, he got away. A short while later, the victim was recovered near the Garfield-Clifton border."
Authorities say the man was either dropped off or escaped, and then flagged down a passing car.
The couple's adult son was also home at the time, but was unharmed.
The motive is unclear and police were trying to determine if anything was stolen from the home.
The search for suspects is ongoing.
new jersey news, new jersey, lyndhurst, abduction, home invasion, assault, new jersey news
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 46 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 49 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 50 min ago
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments 28 min ago
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 5 min ago
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 24 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
50 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
49 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos