New Jersey News
Garden State Plaza gunman surveillance video released
PARAMUS, N.J. -- Police have released video and 911 calls from inside a northern New Jersey mall where a man fired shots before killing himself. Surveillance cameras from several stores inside The Garden State Plaza in Paramus show the man wearing a black motorcycle helmet and black clothing and carrying a gun as shoppers and mall workers scramble for cover. The Paramus police department has identified the shooter as Richard Shoop of Teaneck, N.J. They say the 20-year-old fired several shots inside the mall and died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. No other injuries were reported. Police say they received so many 911 calls that they had to add 10 dispatchers and route some calls as far away as Pennsylvania.
You see a group of shoppers jump at the sound of gunfire as they obviously don't know yet that that's what it was.
They step outside a store to see and immediately run back in, ahead of another young man who looks down the hallway and immediately sees the threat.
Richard Shoop dressed in black and has a motorcycle helmet on.
Cameras across the mall captured his walk and shoppers and employees running, when Shoop comes into their sights.
Cameras show him calmly, assault rifle in hand coming from the elevator.
At the same time cells phones are ringing 911 off the hook.
Hundreds of officers from across the region are racing to the scene..
As we see people inside run for their lives. Employees, work as fast has he could to put his store on lockdown.
Shoop had left a suicide note and he killed himself in a lower level area of the mall and hurt no one else.
new jersey news, new jersey, shooting, new jersey news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify 45 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 33 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 33 min ago